"I do not know"

I shared the following story at yesterday's FOCUS meeting, which really resonated with me when I first started trying to learn more about what it means to be Orthodox. This story very much explains the foundation of my faith in Christ:

One day some of the brethren came to see Abba Antony, and among them was Abba Joseph. Wishing to test them, the old man mentioned a text from Scripture, and starting with the youngest he asked them what i meant. Each explained it as best he could. But to each one the old man said, "You have not yet found the answer.". Last of all he said to Abba Joseph, "and what do you think the text means?". He replied, "I do not know". Then Abba Antony said, "Truly, Abba Joseph has found the way, for he said: I do not know"


Where did I find this story? As introduction to one of the first chapters of the book "The Orthodox Way", by V. Rev. Kallistos Ware.

I'm 34 years old and have been attending the Indian Orthodox Church all my life ... and yet only in the past year have I started to understand not only the meaning of many of the symbols and actions during the service, but also that much of the Church ties back to Christ and the teachings of the Apostles, including being based on the Liturgy of St. James, brother of Jesus and first Archbishop of Jerusalam.

Comments

Popular Posts